Monday, February 09, 2009

99 bottles of beer on the wall...

When I got dry as a desert, I got mean. I was as lonely and empty as a canteen. With no anesthetic, you're bound to be sore. But tonight I am drinkin' all peaceful and warm.
- Bright Eyes “Well Whiskey”

So, weekend two of my personal “no booze” challenge has come and gone. Obviously, the weekends are the toughest. Especially when you have days like Saturday – the sun was shining, it was around 75 degrees...I mean…day-drinking was invented for days like this past Saturday! But! I stayed strong. This was not easy.

In fact, I went to a work happy hour Friday night, and drank nothing but club soda. It’s true. We were at a bar called Porch Swing (imagine picnic tables, wood floors, neon signs). I walked up to the bar (which was crowded) and yelled my order over the heads of some people. “Can I get a club soda?” The bartender kinda rolled his eyes and poured my drink, and then proceeded to ridicule me, much to the delight of the crusty old barflies sitting at the bar. At first I got angry (“Oh, nice. Okay, fine. Make it a triple whiskey and I’ll just go ahead and wrap my car around a tree!”). Then I wrote it off as “he’s just having a little fun at my expense.” Asshole.

I had a good time Friday night, but I did get a little bored toward the end. As the night wore on, everyone was talking louder and louder and revealing things about themselves that they probably shouldn’t have. Usually, that would've been me. So it was strange to see it through sober eyes. Like having an out-of-body experience or something. But it was kinda boring being the only sober guy around a bunch of drunks.

Saturday, I woke up early (8:30ish) and was pretty productive. I made breakfast, I worked out, I went to the grocery store, I walked over to a bookstore to buy a Sydney guidebook(!), I bought some refrigerator magnets…yeah. Thrilling.

I didn’t have any plans Saturday night. In fact, it’s possible I would’ve stayed in that night even without this self-imposed sobriety challenge. I read some (finally finished “Cider House Rules!” Great book, by the way), I flipped through the channels. And, unfortunately, I landed on Comedy Central, which was showing (you guessed it), “Beerfest.” The plot (from IMDB):

After the death of their grandfather Johann von Wolfhause, the brothers Jan and Todd Wolfhouse travel to Munich to fulfill a family tradition, spreading the ashes of Johann during the Oktoberfest. Their contact brings them to a secret beer competition, the Beerfest", where they are offended by Baron Wolfgang von Wolfhausen and the German branch of their family that accuse their grand grandmother of being a prostitute and their grandfather of stealing an old receipt of the best beer in Germany. Jan and Todd returns to USA humiliated and decide to organize a beer team to dispute the next Beerfest. They join Landfill, Barry and Fink and train long the year to participate in the competition. When they find the lost receipt hidden in a dummy, they feel that their German relatives told the truth. But the team is ready for the tough dispute.

First off, “receipt” should actually be “recipe.” Not that this movie really had a plot anyway (in fact, having a plot synopsis for this movie is like having one for a porno. It should either say “beer!” or “fuckin’!”) But…well, it makes even less sense with our heroes having a secret “receipt” as leverage against the German team. Anyway, the point is, they drank a lot during this movie. A lot. I was practically frothing at the mouth. Okay, that’s an exaggeration. But…well, you know how after you watch “Half Baked,” you kinda want to go home and get super stoned? Same thing here. It made me want a beer. Badly. On top of that, I’ve got 20 beers in my fridge right now. I bought them a few weeks ago and never got around to drinking them. They were practically singing to me from the kitchen.

But anyway, I feel good. I haven’t had a hangover since January 25th. I think I’m losing a little weight. And I'm clear-headed enough to write a blog entry on a Monday…so far, so good. This next weekend is Valentine’s Day. It falls on a Saturday. And I don’t have a Valentine. Umm…it’s possible I might be denying myself one of the most enjoyable drinking nights of the year. But we soldier on! The end date for my little challenge (tentatively) is March 15th. Why March 15th? Well, I may be going out to California for a few days with Richard for a corporate rah-rah weekend/retreat/vacation. I’m very excited about this. And that first drink will be heavenly.

6 comments:

Norm said...

fun fun fun about sydney!!!! it is probably one of the prettiest places ever! i can't wait to hear your stories. here's a healthy snack for you to try that actually tastes good: celery and hummus. not kidding. well, if you like hummus. seriously tasty and seriously healthy!! good luck with no drinking. hope you come to austin after you've started again. ha!

Kalinda said...

I like how you added an exclamation point to Cider House Rules...like you're saying, "Dude! You gotta check out Cider House, it RULES!" :)

Please don't bring your apocalyptic self to here anytime soon, or, at least let me get out of town before you pour natural disaster on my home.

kolls said...

I'm impressed with your week of no booze! Though I'm concerned that perhaps sobriety is causing you to make unwise decisions, like watching "Beerfest."

I don't have a Valentine either, brah! I plan to sit on down with a bottle of vodka, some Ben and Jerry's and "He's Just Not That Into You" and cry myself to sleep. Actually, strike that - some wine and "Bridget Jones's Diary" and possibly going to sleep early, because I'm a badass like that.

I also apparently love leaving long comments on your blog, so I hope you're entertained!

reegan said...

I am envious of your no drinking weekend. I just had your brother in town and it literally almost ended my life... I'm still in pain. I think I may give your plan a try...ugh.

Robert said...

Richard said all you guys did was drink. Like, literally, that was all you did. HAHA! Nice work.

A weekend off will do you right. Waking up on a Saturday morning with no hangover? Pretty stellar.

Anonymous said...

Ummmm I wish I could praise you for this endeavor but since I have been living this way for many, many, many years... I just can't do it. HAHA!

Maybe I should go on a campaign of drinking every weekend to see how the other half lives!! Hmmmmm I should really consider this. I wonder what it's like to drink every weekend?