Monday, April 20, 2009

Knuggets: I Don't Like Mondays edition

Happy Monday everybody! It was an eventful weekend of out-of-town guests, a LOT of rain, a LOT of booze and generally a good ol’ time. I’m too lazy and tired to do a full recap, so instead I’m gonna serve up a tray of piping hot (sorry Cory) cafeteria-quality knuggets.

After being rained out on Saturday, we went to the International Festival on Sunday. The first order of business was to find the Louisiana stage to watch some zydeco. We watched a band of twenty-somethings called Feufollet who played very traditional, down-home Louisiana music. It was awesome. Something about the combination of an accordion and fiddle. It makes me happy. Anyway, I bought a CD, which will absolutely serve as the soundtrack this next weekend at the crawfish boil.

As we were walking through the festival, we stumbled on a truck selling something called a Hot Beef Sundae. Obviously I had to get one.


It was a layer of mashed potatoes at the bottom of the bowl, then roast beef, then gravy, then more mashed potatoes, then more gravy, then cheese, then a cherry tomato. And, despite the name, it was actually very good. Although it was a little too hearty and a little too warm for a day spent walking around in the sun. The Hot Beef Sundae truck needs to make its rounds during the winter.

This delightful piece of artwork lives at Rudyard’s, a cruddy (yet awesome) bar in Houston.


To be honest, I was sad all of last year because Boobies 2007 was over, and there wasn’t any Boobies 2008. Well, last week at Dark Horse (another cruddy, yet awesome bar) I saw this…


I watched Southland, the new Thursday night cop show on NBC, last week. It was okay. Not terrible. The cast is pretty good, but…well…Benjamin McKenzie? Really? He’s entered Mark Paul Gosselaar territory for me. He’s Ryan Atwood and he’ll always be Ryan Atwood and all I can think when I watch Southland is “Ryan Atwood is a cop?” If I had to guess, I would say this show is gonna shift pretty quickly away from his character and toward the more interesting ones. Anyway. The show will probably be canceled in two weeks, making this post completely irrelevant and outdated.

The point I was trying to get to, and something I thought about while watching the show – has any cast made themselves obsolete faster than the cast of the OC? There was some real potential there and then poof! They’re all gone! I thought Adam Brody had the opportunity to become one of those guys who could just play himself in every role and be successful. It’s not easy to get to that point, but a lot of actors have done it – Will Ferrell, Seth Rogen, Steve Carell, Ricky Gervais…Anyway, Brody had the personality for it, but it obviously didn’t happen. Though imdb is telling me he’s playing the Flash in the upcoming Justice League movie. Although, it’s a strange (Common as the Green Lantern?) and unknown (DJ Cotrona as Superman?) cast, so…nevermind.

Anyway. Mischa Barton, Rachel Bilson, Kelly Rowan…where the hell are they?!

This is shaping up to be a really good “summer song” summer. We’re not even through April yet and we’ve already had Just Dance, Poker Face, My Life Would Suck Without You, the Fear and Live Your Life.

Good job Lady Gaga. You know, there’s this lyric in Poker Face where she says “I’m just bluffin’ with my muffin,” and I always thought it was just this cute, weird little rhyme. And I assumed her “muffin” was her head/brain/mind. Well apparently VH1 thinks it’s code for “vagina” because they mute it out in the video. Isn’t that strange? The radio lets her say muffin. I mean, really. Who the hell calls it a muffin?!

Update: in the video, she points at her vagina while saying this line, so...yeah, I can kinda see why they think "muffin" means "vagina."

And in other pop music news (this is a strange edition of knuggets, isn’t it), Britney Spears is apparently letting ten year olds write her songs now. Her new single is called “If You Seek Amy” and the chorus goes “love me, hate me, say what you want about me. But all the boys and all the girls are begging to if you seek Amy."

Obviously that makes no sense. And obviously she’s saying “F.U.C.K. me.” On the radio, they’ve done an awkward editing job and it sounds like she’s saying “if you see Amy.” On VH1, they play the song as it is, but are very, very careful when they introduce it. Poor Jim Shearer had to say, “here’s Britney’s latest – If You…(pause)…seek (pause) Amy.” God, she’s a lunatic.

Oh, speaking of lunatics ...the crazy guy at my gym. I’m still wondering how the hell he got a membership. Did he walk in one day wearing a suit and a bowler and say, "good day, sir. I would like to inquire about a membership in this athletic club." And then once he had his card, rip off the suit and start eating one of the promotional balloons? The guy will have full blown conversations with himself in the mirror. And he never actually does any exercising. He’ll sit on one of the stationary bikes and talk to the television. Last week, he brought in a sandwich and some chips, and had his damn lunch while sitting on the bike! He’s insane! I mean, he seems harmless enough, but…well, it’s only a matter of time before he shoots the place up, right?

Like I mentioned last week (and at the top of this post), this upcoming Saturday is the big crawfish blowout at West Alabama Ice House. I’m excited. Mike and Kalinda are coming. Eric is coming. Josh is coming. And of course there’s a chance for scattered thunderstorms. Nothing but sunshine from now until Saturday, but a chance of rain on Saturday. This is not fair. Still. I can’t wait.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

...and your brother is coming. Dickhead.

Kalinda said...

It. IS. GONNA. ROCK.

Ha ha, pooooor, Richard.

Anonymous said...

SCORPIONS!!

cory said...

Piping hot muffins.

Andy said...

That Hot Beef Sundae absolutely belongs on This is Why You're Fat.

And maybe this was implied, but that Mark Paul Gosselaar comparison works even more perfectly because MPG also tried to resuscitate his career on a cop show (NYPD Blue).

Anonymous said...

lots of people sure are coming...

yuk, ha, yuk, yuk, ha, ha!!

Get it? Coming like cumming? Like jizz?

Kalinda said...

what the hell, pig flu face...no posts?!? booooooo