Friday, October 19, 2007

Friday night is alright! For writing! Al...write! Heh.

Well, it's been sixteen days since my last post. This is a bad thing. I'm not in Blogoholics Anonymous or anything. Jesus, sixteen days and I'm already making jokes like that? Yeesh. Anyway, just wanted to a give a quick update in case anyone is wondering where the hell I am.

Jobs:

Well...looking for a job is maddening and discouraging. And (naturally) takes a really, really long time. I took the shotgun approach, sending my resume out to lots of companies in lots of cities. I actually have four different resumes with four different home addresses. So far, so good, I guess. I have an interview Monday with a PR agency in Dallas. This is good because it's a potential job (and therefore, a potential paycheck), but...umm...do I really want to get back into PR? (Remember the paycheck, remember the paycheck) And do I really want to live in Dallas? (Paycheck, paycheck, paycheck) I don't know. I'm gonna do my best and we'll see what happens.

For some people, getting an interview is (for all intents and purposes) their last step. Because some people are really good at interviewing and they ooze personality and they charm their interviewer, etc, etc. I am the complete opposite of that. I can be charming. I can be smart. I can be fun. I can be downright hilarious. Unfortunately, I can be none of these things during a job interview. My mouth dries out, I get really nervous, I deliver these terrible, rehearsed answers. It's just a disaster from start to finish. In fact, I don't know how I've had any job, ever. I may have a few Irish coffees before my interview on Monday. I need to do something, because what I'm doing now obviously isn't working.

Girl:

Once upon a time, this blog was a sounding board for all of my girl troubles. Oh, the days of First Girl, Hoboken Girl and....urrmmmm...New Girl? Luckily(?) I haven't had any girl goings-on in the last two years or so, so...what the hell have I been writing about?! Anyway, I am seeing someone now. You've met her before (on this blog anyway). I met her this summer in Austin. We hung out in big groups but nothing ever happened between the two of us. At the beginning of August, however, we started hanging out one-on-one. Well, in the interest of honesty, I should note that the "hanging out" was the direct result of a very awesome one night stand-type evening. But it blossomed (stay with me here). Anyway, she goes to Tulane, so at the end of the summer, she left, and I moved to New York.

We stayed in touch and found that we actually really did like each other and lo and behold, the "tapering off" that was supposed to occur never did. When I came back I visited her in New Orleans. It was good. This past weekend she came and saw me in Austin. It was really good. So like the Two Headed Monster from Sesame Street, we just kept getting closer and closer to each other and now...well, now...I have a girlfriend. Yup. We have titles. I am boyfriend. She is girlfriend. (side note: I looked on Wikipedia to find out what exactly the two headed monster from Sesame Street was called, and discovered that not only are they simply called "Two Headed Monster," but that Snuffleupagus has a first name! And it's Aloysius! Amazing!) Anyway, it's a long distance relationship...and she's in college. This has to end well, right? Right?!

City:

One would think my leaving New York meant I had a very specific city in mind. Well, not exactly. Like I said, I've taken the shotgun approach with my job search, so I've narrowed it down to four cities (give or take). We'll just see who bites first on the resume. I have them ranked in my head, but I'll keep that to myself for now.

Okay, that's it. I'll try to write more, I promise. Maybe I'll have another mailbag soon! Stay tuned!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

awww...

you even changed your myspace "relationship status".

CUTE!

Anonymous said...

ahahahahaha. you changed your my space status. like, so totally awesome!

Know what you are? A city-tease. "Hey--I'm moving back. Oh. Wait. By back I mean you MIGHT be able to see me with a long car ride, perhaps an airplane would serve you better."

CITY TEASE!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, you're fucking up my world right now chief.

Anonymous said...

what? for the first time in 5 years, we have the Reinisch and Knox kids together again, and now you may be leaving? I was all pumped about taking over this town with shenanigans.

If you leave, I'll fucking kill you, Robert.






I won't. I'll just cry myself to sleep every night again.

Anonymous said...

uh...when AREN'T you crying yourself to sleep?

Go wash your emo hair in your emo tears.

Anonymous said...

HAHAHA!

Jerk.

Robert said...

Did "anonymous" just have a conversation with themself in my blog comments section? You know what isn't a word? "Themself."

Andy said...

Current chances of Robert ending up in the following cities:
Austin: 80%
Dallas: 20%
New Orleans: 10%
Houston: -10%

Anonymous said...

Dallas is in the running?!?! I just vomited on my desk. Ew.

Anonymous said...

Come to Dallas Robert!! That's where all the cool people live...I have yet to meet them but that's what they say in D Magazine every month, right under the perfect place to get your tan evened out during the winter!!

Mother Ring said...

I appreciate the title pun--but that's not saying much since I'm annoyingly addicted to puns.

Congrats on all the recent changes--the move, the girl, the phone. It sounds like everything is coming together for you, Mr. Knox. I'm sure the dream job will find you soon. Plus, there's always that master's degree...

our lady of perpetual stuff and nonsense said...

please to God, update your blog.

sincerely,
rachel (entirely too productive for her own good) graves