So...it's been awhile. Yeah, this a bit awkward. I know, I know. I should've called. Anyway...
Here's the thing about this blog. More importantly, here's the thing about work. I write a lot for my job. That doesn't bother me at all, I really enjoy writing. It's just that when I write and write and write all day, I really don't feel like writing when I get home. I miss my old intern days when I had six free hours a day. Oh well. I won't complain, I'll just have to make a conscious effort to make time for this.
I guess everyone wants an update on the relationship. Yep, me and Hoboken Girl are still together. In fact, a few weeks ago, we were sitting on the steps by Bryant Park, kinda snuggling and smooching and whatever else (did I really just say "snuggling?") when I heard someone say my name. I shut my eyes, knowing it could only be one person. That's right. New Girl was walking my direction, hand in hand with her new boyfriend. So much for her "need time to myself, can't fit anyone else in my life right now" excuse. I wasn't mad that she was dating someone new, I was just terrified that she and Hoboken Girl were about to meet. Hoboken Girl has only heard about New Girl, but doesn't know anything about her. They introduced themselves, we small talked for a second, and she was on her way. It was actually pretty painless. Then New Girl called me when I got home and was like, "Holy crap, how bizarre was that?!" Yeah. Bizarre. Hoboken Girl didn't even recognize New Girl's name when she introduced herself, so she had no idea who she was. When I admitted to her later who she had just met, she got frustrated that she couldn't remember what New Girl looked like. That was a lot of "Hoboken/New Girls" for one paragraph. Yet another reason why they should never have met.
Anyway, how are things with Hoboken Girl? To better explain where we are in our relationship, let me first explain how I handle girlfriends in general. This is a pattern I got into in college, and haven't been able to shake yet. When I start dating a girl, I become enamored with them. I try to think of any way possible to do sweet things for them, and I'm constantly brainstorming cool places to take them, or fun things to show them. It becomes my project. For example, when Hoboken Girl was in Florida for a golf event she had to work, I called a florist by her hotel and had them leave a vase of tulips in her hotel room. Blahblahblah. It's fun for me to see her happy. This is a great way to approach relationships for a little while, but there are two very big drawbacks...
1.) After the third month, I stop worrying as much about surprising her at every opportunity, and actually take the time to evaluate whether or not I have anything in common with her. In the past, this has led to the end of the relationship, because I've discovered that I really haven't had much in common with the girl I was dating. I end up becoming disinterested, and leaving the relationship without any real explanation, which doesn't really go over too well, as you'd imagine.
2.) There have been a couple of girls who I've started to date, but never made it to three months with. The problem here, is that when I start dating someone, I'm committed for at least three months and a day. I'm already in full-fledged big, caring Sweetie mode, and that's that. If she leaves while I'm in that mode, I become trapped in that mode, and can't move past my infatuation. There are two girls I still think about waaaaaay more than I should, and you'll never guess what they have in common. That's right, they both left within the first month.
So that's that. I've begun examining whether or not Hoboken Girl and I really have anything in common. She's not on trial or anything, I'm just a little more cognizant of things. I'll keep you posted...
-

4 comments:
To Robert: You're a Fag.
From: J. Chris
Uzoma loves you and says he'll grant you two wishes. I know, it's not the usual three, but he's kind of stingy.
Damn you and your promises!
You know, Robert? I check this everyday, just in the hopes of getting my dose of "Knox" humor. My faith in you is dwindling somewhat. WHERE ARE YOU?
Post a Comment