Sunday, February 05, 2006

Obligatory post-Super Bowl posting

Yeah yeah, the Steelers won. Blahblahblah...As with most important sporting events, I was too drunk by the fourth quarter to care anymore. It happened last year when Tech beat Cal in what should have been a very memorable Holiday Bowl. It happened this year when Texas beat USC in what may have been the greatest college football game ever played. I'm more interested in reacting to every snap than the actual result. I live and die with every play, and don't really notice the big picture anymore. An interception? Yaaaaaaayyyy!!!!!! A dropped pass? NOOOOOO!!!!!!! It doesn't matter if it's second and two and there's plenty of time left in the game and we're winning by 57. Anyway, I'm happy the Steelers won. The Seahawks are too monochromatic, and not very interesting. The Steelers are YELLOW and BLACK and have an OLD RUNNING BACK and and LONG-TENURED COACH, and a SHITTY DOWNTRODDEN CITY IN NEED OF A CHAMPION. Who can root against that? Seattle has Microsoft and Starbucks. Fuck em.
Chuck Klosterman called it. He predicted the Rolling Stones would play Start Me Up, then (Can't Get No) Satisfaction, then something from their new album. Which is exactly what happened, though not in that exact order. It's a shame no one under the age of 35 will ever be successful enough to plan these things. It reminds me of when I worked on Mike'd Up, which is a Sunday night sports show in New York. The guy who produced the montages, Doug, was a really, really nice guy. But every piece, without fail, was either set to Van Halen, Bruce Springsteen, Pearl Jam or some godawful 80s rock song. Complete with lava-hot licks and straight forward rawk drums. I always prayed he would play "Piazza New York Catcher" over the Mets features, but it never happened. C'mon, how great would that have been? Mike Piazza is up late on a Sunday night, having a glass of red wine, snuggling with some dude named Stephan, watching a kickass-bat swinging-ball throwing Mets highlight over sweet Belle and Sebastian melodies and the lyrics, "Piazza New York catcher, are you straight or are you gay?" I guess this doesn't make sense (or isn't very funny) unless you're actually familiar with the song. Guh. I need to go to bed. Monday morning approaches.

2 comments:

Andy said...

Dude, Mike Piazza's wife is crazy hot.

Robert said...

And? So was Elton John's.