Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Pondtry Come to Town...PA

So last night, I went with two friends to see Matt Pond PA. These friends were Dave and Erin, one of the few couples I thoroughly enjoy hanging out with as a trio. Though being with a couple automatically makes you the third wheel, we had more of a tricycle dynamic, which was nice. God, those are the words of a lonely man.
The band was great. I only recently found out "Matt Pond PA" was actually five people. And I didn't think that just because the name of the band is "Matt Pond PA." Their old albums have a great unpolished quality to them. I kept imagining this guy Matt Pond PA recording the guitar on his crappy four track, then plugging in the mic and singing, then breaking out the cello and laying that down last. I'm glad cello is having its moment in the sun right now. I always loved songs with cello.
I swear, there's a muscle in my eyebrows that responds exclusively to that instrument. When a band is playing a beautiful song, and the cellist is pulling this long, gorgeous note, my eyebrows follow along. Like the bow is attached to a nerve in my face. I can't think of any other instrument that has that correlation. Well, maybe the banjo to my toes and the washboard to my hips. If there's ever a band with a banjo, washboard and cello, I am severely screwed. People will think I'm having a seizure.

No comments: