While home sick I watched a lot of game shows. I realized how much I rock at The Price is Right and found myself wishing that Supermarket Sweep was still on the air so I could be a contestant. What are your top five favorite game shows of all time? If you could be on the game show of your choosing (past or present) which show would you choose and why? (Besides Jeopardy)
Eric D.
Austin, TX
Well, I don't see how you can say "besides Jeopardy!," because that's my favorite game show of all time. I would be on Jeopardy! And what I lack in knowledge on lakes, British monarchs, the Bible and poetry, I more than make up for with an endless supply of useless facts on sports, music, TV, movies, US colleges and any category where they give you the first letter.
Supermarket Sweep - I was a big fan of this show, but really only for the final challenge. They always went straight for the turkeys. I guess in the 80's turkeys were really expensive. Today, you could spend your entire two minutes in the pharmacy scooping up bottles of Alli, multivitamins and pain relievers. Then maybe you could swing through the "healthy/organics" section on your way back to the register to pick up some $6 organic granola bars.
Jeopardy! - this is the gold standard for gameshows, as far as I'm concerned. If I had one gripe about this show, it would be Alex Trebek's annoying accents ("the ballet les patinEURS focuses on this athletic pastime, with the dancers gliding by in wintry setting.") and his condescending responses when no one gets the answer right (like he would know it if he have the damn answer on a notecard in his hand). (the answer is "ice skating," by the way)
The Price is Right - this is standard viewing when you're home sick. To be honest, I haven't watched much of the Drew Carey version, but Richard says he's a good host because he genuinely has fun and genuinely wants the people to win. I always kinda sucked at this game.
The Biggest Loser - technically, this is a game show. There are weekly prizes, a grand prize, fierce competition, ridiculous challenges and eliminations. So there. This is one of my favorites because (as I mentioned before) the participants generally like each other, pull for each other and want the best for each other. I'm just waiting for the inevitable "reality show romance" on this one. This has to be the only show where that hasn't happened. Not while they were fatties anyway.
Remote Control - I feel like I should have a bone to pick with Remote Control, since it's possible its popularity led to the formation of an "original programming" division at MTV - which ultimately led us to the shit we're seeing today (Life of Ryan, The Hills, Super Sweet Sixteen). But I think the Real World probably had more to do with that, so Remote Control gets a pass. Besides, how many game shows has MTV tried since then? Two? Three? (oh, Singled Out, how I miss you)
Remote Control was great because its contestants/crowd were rowdy college kids, it didn't take itself seriously at all and it revolved around music!
I especially liked the final challenge, where you were strapped to a spinning wheel and had to guess what videos were showing on ten individual screens. This challenge would be virtually impossible today considering a.) MTV doesn't show any videos so your frame of reference would be infinitely smaller, and b.) even when they do show videos (which I believe is from 4 a.m. to 6 a.m.), it's primarily hip hop, a genre whose videos are damn near indistinguishable from each other (excluding Kanye West). Are you going to have an Anti-Valentine's Day this year? Or are you going to find some random girl and have some hate sex?
Kellie T.
Dallas, TX
I've always been the kind of person who enjoyed Valentine's Day, even though I thought it was unfair that all men started the day with some kind of obligation to be romantic. Kind of takes away from the spirit of romance (which is spontaneous and unexpected), doesn't it? But I like doing sweet things for girlfriends, so I couldn't see myself having an anti-Valentine's Day.
Of course, this year might be different, since I find myself scowling at every Valentine's-related commercial that comes on the air. Regardless, I'll probably either a.) have dinner alone in my apartment then weep softly into my pillow until I fall asleep or b.) attend some kind of "lonely hearts" bar blowout for singles desperate for any affection/companionship on Valentine's Day. I'm leaning toward the latter.side note: the subject for today's posting comes from a conversation I once had with my mom. After being dumped the summer after my Freshman year of college we had the following exchange...
Her: what you need to do is find a cute little girl and bring her around to make Ex-Girlfriend jealous.
Me: (still so idealistic and sweet) Mommmmm, I don't want to play games.
Her: (sharply) Oh boo-hoo, you have to play games.
Still the best advice I've ever gotten.
Alright, I've run out of time and now I have to get back to work. Our healthy snack for today is...
Special K Bar Blueberry
Calories: 90
Fat: 1.5g/2%
Other: 10% of your daily recommended Niacin!
Overall: The actual name for this product is Special K Bar Blueberry. This makes no sense to me. Was it conceived Special K's Mexico test kitchen and they decided not to put the adjective back in front of the noun after they translated the name? I mean, shouldn't this thing be called a Special K Blueberry Bar? Anyway. I was hesitant to buy anything from Special K. I've been eating their Red Berries cereal for breakfast everyday for the past eight months, and I gotta say, I'm a little burned out. Now, the fact that it took me eight months to get burned out on this cereal should tell you that I was pretty fond of it. But. I don't know. I just wasn't sure about eating more Special K. However, I was more than pleasantly surprised with the result. Not only is it crispy and chewy (like a blueberry Rice Krispies treat), but it's really sweet too (there was actually a little strip of icing on top). As delicious as it was (and it was delicious), I ate the whole damn thing in about fifteen seconds. These things are small. I guess that's to be expected from any snack with 90 calories.
Pros: Sweet, crispy, chewy, tasty, 10% of my daily recommended Niacin
Cons: Small, made by Special K (addiction imminent), weird backwards name

4 comments:
Mama Knox, ftw!
What on earth is "ftw?" Mama Knox, fuck the world! Huh?
mmm, I just ate my special K strawberry bar. I felt this strong cosmic breakfast connection, I think you were eating bluberry at the same time and we might have caused some fruity granola-y universes to collide.
K
I ate some bacon.
Post a Comment