Thursday, January 31, 2008

It takes two...

I should mention that my focus in life right now is two-fold. The first (of which you're probably well aware) is to get over Donna. The second (of which you're probably well aware) is to get back into shape. So I apologize if this blog drifts to either of those subjects a little too often (which I'm sure it already has). But, since it's my dual-focus right now, it might be the subject of this blog for awhile, so...umm, there it is.

Focus one is actually getting a little easier. I still have my good days and my bad days, but progress is being made. (side note: I'm assuming that whatever research the online dating websites are doing, they've found that most people get lonely during the winter. This isn't exactly a revelation, and you're probably wondering why I even brought it up. I've just been noticing a lot of commercials lately for e-harmony, chemistry.com, et al. Now, maybe it's just because I'm hypersensitive right now to anything involving love and happiness - I actually find myself sneering at the happy couples in jewelry commercials. I'm sure this is a by-product of my healing, but it's strange nonetheless.)

My problem is that I'm an impatient person by nature, so I find myself thinking "enough already, when is this gonna end?" Because (for me, anyway) a dull, continuous pain is far more excruciating than something sharp and quick. So I've had this weird urgency over the last couple of weeks - I want to be in shape now and I want to be ready to date someone else now and I want to stop thinking about Donna now. But as someone very wise once told me, "You can't hurry time and time is all it takes."

As far as focus two goes, I'm chugging along. I've heard that you should weigh yourself at the same time every week (for consistency's sake), so I've decided to make today - Thursday - that day. I figure I'll have had four solid days to make up for any shenanigans/stumbles/wagon-falling from the previous weekend. Today is the first of those weigh-ins ("weigh-ins?" I mean, I know I'm not in great shape, but I'm not so fat that I have to call them "weigh-ins." Yeesh). I've also decided to add a product review element to this blog (we'll see if it lasts as long as the "Person of the Day" feature - last seen May 18, 2007). As delicious as the Healthy Choice pizzas are, I still tend to get pretty hungry at around 3:00, so I'm going to start trying all the different healthy snacks on the market. Some will probably be disgusting. Some may be fantastic. So periodically I'll tack a product review onto the end of a posting. Stay tuned! Today's snack (since I didn't have time to buy anything else): Gas station banana.

Gas Station Banana - bought at a nearby Chevron for 89 cents!
Calories: 110
Fat: 0g/0%
Other: 400mg/11% potassium, 4g/16% dietary fiber
Overall: I'm very, very particular about my bananas. I need my bananas to be pretty firm and a perfect yellow (yellow-green, if possible). If there are excessive banana hairs or if it's too mushy or banana smelly or at all brown, I can't even eat the damn thing. This is probably a result of my dad feeding me such near-spoiled produce as a child. It's not that he's inconsiderate, he just believes in getting rid of the old stuff before diving into the new stuff. He did that with old bananas by feeding them to his children. Anyway. This Chevron banana appeared to be pretty yellow and speckle-free, but when I peeled it, it was fairly mushy. And had many banana hairs. Ick. But it wasn't bad. And I got 11% of my daily potassium!
Pros: I guess I can't be too picky, considering I bought it at Chevron. I got some vitamins, it satiated my hunger and I can say I satisfied at least part of my daily recommended fruits/vegetable quota.
Cons: Sorta mushy, sorta hairy, overpriced for a damn banana!

I swear I'll review something better next time. In fact, I have a Special K Bar (Blueberry!) sitting on my desk. But since I just ate a banana...well, I'm not just gonna waste it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can we make you our diet food guinea pig? Can i send suggestions? Will you try Alli and then blog about your personal experience with "potential for gas with liquid discharge?"

Oh! Special K bars are the SHIT. The cereal/granola-y ones? I highly recommend getting the mixed box, it's like a breakfast grabbag. And, they satisfy my hunger until lunch.

Anonymous said...

Robert Knox! I thought I was the only one who liked "more on the green side" bananas! Everyone always gives me an attitude about it, whenever the topic of fruit ripeness comes up (which is usually two or three times daily.) "Don't eat that. It still has elements of green! It's just not ripe yet!" Now I can direct all the naysayers to your blog. Bananas aren't supposed to be brown.

Andy said...

I buy a week's worth of bananas every Sunday. That's seven bananas; one for each day. By the Fri-Sat-Sun combo, they're mushy, stringy and disgusting. And I've even tried to counter that on the Sunday of my purchase when I buy about four that are yellow and three that are greenish and need a little more time to mature. But come Fri-Sat-Sun, even though those greenish ones have turned yellow, they're still mushy, stringy and disgusting. The HELL??!?