Thursday, January 24, 2008

I had a case of the Tuesdays. And Wednesdays.

Sorry for not posting anything the last couple of days. I caught some kind of bug and spent the last 48 hours on my couch. It wasn't too bad. I ate soup and drank juice and watched cartoons/movies/porn on my magical mystery-mix television. Being sick is kinda liberating, because you can sleep until 4:00 in the afternoon and eat sixteen bowls of ice cream without feeling guilty. But. I had to come back to work. I need the money and I was starting to get really, really bored. Luckily I was able to get a prescription...mmmmmmailblog!

Best and worst Mexican restaurant ever. I remember you telling me they served you mashed potatoes as a side dish in a Minnesota Mexican restaurant - please confirm or deny.
Stevo
Dallas, TX


Actually, this is half true. I was with two friends at a Don Pablo's in Minneapolis, and both of them (Minnesota born and bred, by the way) asked to substitute their rice and beans for a side of mashed potatoes. And fries. Seriously. I didn't know Don Pablo's even stocked potatoes.

Before I make my decision on best/worst, I should note that my criteria is pretty narrow. My appreciation for Mexican food comes from my mom, and she taught me that the most important measuring sticks are the margaritas and the salsa. And that the entrees are secondary, because really, you're usually half-drunk and full from chips when they arrive anyway, and how hard is it to screw up enchiladas/tacos?

That being said, if I had to choose one above all others? Umm...can I do a four-way tie? Screw it, it's my blog. It's a four-way tie: Maudie's in Austin, Mattito's and Blue Goose in Dallas and Cafe Ole' in San Antonio (for the 60 oz. margaritas alone). I haven't found a place in Houston yet, so any suggestions are welcome!

Worst? Between Minnesota and New York (and my desperate attempts to find decent Mexican therein), I experienced a lot of bad places. Hmm...I would nominate Taco King in Queens, because you should question the authenticity of any Mexican restaurant run by Chinese people, but (sadly) I ate there more than once. It would have to be the place on the Upper East Side that put rum in their margaritas. Blue Moon. Their salsa tasted like room-temperature marinara (and could possibly have been marinara).

How long can people be F$*k Buddies before things become way too complicated and emotional? I ask this question because I think I have moved into relationship territory with my F-Buddy and I am not sure how to get out or how I got there. We hang out almost every night.
Sincerely,
Having sex with my "boyfriend?"
Dallas, TX


Hmm...honestly, I don't think two people can sleep together more than three times without someone developing some kind of feelings. I mean, there had to be some attraction for you to sleep together in the first place, right?

It's a sticky situation. You could go the serious route ("look, I can see you're starting to develop real feelings for me, and while I appreciate that, I thought it was clear our relationship would be relatively casual"), but if you have that talk, you're losing your F-Buddy for good. So I guess you have to just start treating them like they're your buddy again. You know, in that "punch 'em in the arm" kind of way. That way they'll realize that you don't want any serious romance, and you'll avoid the embarrassment of a sit-down talk. Am I a monster?

My iPod is severely lacking. I mean, one can only listen to Jamie T and Stereophonics (and Girls Aloud's new album, obvs) so many times before craving some new music. What are your current favorite bands/songs/albums?
Traci K.
New York, NY


I wish I could be more help to you. I've been in the same music rut for the past six months. But I have stumbled upon a couple of albums I really liked:

Band of Horses - Cease to Begin - I used to say they were the next evolution of Sunny Day Real Estate, but that was based solely on the guy's voice. They're an indie band. They write good songs. It's not the album that will save your life, but it'll save your afternoon.
Best track: Ode to LRC

Stars - Up In Our Bedroom After the War - Really poppy, guy/girl singing combo, not for everyone. There's a really great song on this album about online dating (Personal) that's surprisingly heartfelt.
Best Track: Midnight Coward

The Weakerthans - Reunion Tour - This is the guy from Propagandhi who always sounded out of place being in Propagandhi ("Anchorless" and "Gifts" stuck out like sore thumbs). But he's done a good job with this band. Tracks 2, 5, 7, 8 and 9 are excellent. (but by all means, please avoid the ill-advised spoken word nonsense that is track six)
Best track: Sun in an Empty Room

Thankfully, SXSW is right around the corner, which should provide lots of new "Next Big Things!" Until then, umm...Girls Aloud it is!

Have you ever had a manicure? If so, did you enjoy it? If not, why not and would you get one?
Kori C.
Houston, TX


I've never had a manicure before, mainly because I don't see the point. I mean, I clip my nails pretty regularly. Granted, I rarely pay any attention to my cuticles, but they're never so gnarled that I actually notice them.

I think I avoid manicure places because they do pedicures too, and I know how wretched my feet are. And I feel like the manicurists would know it too as soon as I walked in. Like a devil-imp walking into a church or something. My shoes would catch fire.

(side note: you should be glad that's the picture I chose for "fingernails." Egads, don't ever do a google images search for that word.)

How are you?
Eric D.
Austin, TX

So how are you doing?
Regan M.
New York, NY


I have to admit, I'm starting to feel a little bit like Mikey from Swingers. Not because this recent heart-stomping is the only thing I talk about (I swear it isn't!), but because I've got so many caring friends checking in on me. I've gotten more solid advice than I ever could've asked for, and believe me, I'm taking all of it to heart.

Honestly, I'm tired of thinking about her. It's not going to change anything and it's just going to drive me crazy. So I'm singing a new song from here on out and it goes a little something like this...(ahem)...doh, ray, me, me, me, ME, ME, ME!! That's right. I'm focusing on me now. To hell with relationships, to hell with girlfriends, to hell with romance. Just for now. Until the shards of my shipwrecked ego can be scooped up and patched back together. Away we go.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've always lived by a rule of thumb regarding Mexican food. If you see a fat, sweaty senorita rolling a tortilla on her thigh, you should eat there. Regardless of the free-range chickens pecking tortilla chip crumbs under your table, and the four mustachioed cholos lowering a purple Civic out back.

It's a safe bet the food will make your mouth orgasm.

Esta nice.

El Reinisch

Anonymous said...

oooo, i liked your last part about "me me me." can that be me too? i've been throwing myself a pity party and nobody's coming to it, so can i steal your idea? fuck you, i'm doing it. it's all about me.

Traci Anne said...

Ohhh, I <3 The Weakerthans! Good call. Also, your Me Party? DO IT. For serious.

Anonymous said...

To give you an update...I am throwing in the towel and letting this thing become the relationship it is. I refuse to call him my "boyfriend" but I call him my special friend. Besides the sex is fantastic!!

Anonymous said...

i have been home with the flu for the past 4 days. i'm finally getting over it and managed to make it from my couch in my living room to my couch in the study to see what the "internets" have been posting in the last 72 to 96 hours.

i laughed at the beginning of this blog because i actually had two bowls of ice cream for lunch and i found comfort that i wasn't the only person who does that when home sick.

i'm now on to the living room couch for some game show network and sleeping.

(my quest to turn out like "mikey" on true life really is taking shape...)