Monday, December 27, 2004

Patience...

You know, after re-reading a lot of these entries, I've realized that this whole blerrrg has become a haven for stories about going out and getting drunk. True, drunk stories are hilarious, but seriously, it gets old after awhile. I'll try to leave out my stories of drunken debauchery for the next couple of weeks. Or at least until something really funny happens. And since New Year's Eve is only four days away, a couple of weeks maybe asking too much.
This past weekend was Christmas. I flew home to Houston, which isn't something I was really looking forward to. I wanted to see my sister, and all my friends, but nothing about the trip really excited me. I got to the airport Thursday night, and my 5:00 flight had been delayed until 9:00. That's just ridiculous. I called Delta, trying desperately to find another way home. I started to give the lady my confirmation number, which was something like, 5D2W...whatever. And she read it back, and was like, "5-V as in Victor-2-..." No, no, no...Deeeee..."Oh. B as in Boy..." No. DEEE. As in DOGSHIT. The people around me giggled, and I suddenly felt really embarassed. Lord no. Am I becoming an asshole New Yorker, or am I becoming my father?! All I know is, Robert 18 months ago would never have yelled at some Indian woman making 17 cents a day, just because his plane was delayed. Hmmm...and even more destressing, I've gotten into the habit of yelling "Fuck off!" at cab drivers when they honk at me. That's just rude, isn't it? I guess it's okay, at least I'm aware of it. In fact, a couple of weekends ago, I found myself scowling, and barging through the crowds of tourists on my way to work, scoffing when they'd get in my way. Then a couple of days later, I saw some girl doing the same thing, and I was appalled at the look on her face. I wanted to stop her, and be like, "Girl. Why are you so angry?" but that would've been hipocritical, since I had been making the same face two days earlier. So now I make a conscious effort not to scowl at tourists. They're excited, and they want to look at everything, since Muncie, Indiana is a lot less stimulating than New York City. Patience is a good virtue to have, I just need to remind myself of that every once and awhile.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

that was funny. this is richard by the way. im too lazy to set up an account. or capitalize anything too, i guess.