Monday, June 02, 2008

Date Weak 2008

Sorry for the lapse. I spent a lot of time last week answering questions about my dating life and after awhile, just got sick to death of talking about myself. I'm still considering a short blog hiatus, but I figured I should give some updates on Date Week 2008!

Alyson
Alyson moved to Dallas this past weekend, so last week, she and I decided to have one final farewell dinner. I really was looking forward to spending one last night with her, and the more I thought about it, the more I started to feel sad that she was leaving. I mean, I have no idea what we were. The whole "relationship" was puzzling from the get-go. But the fact remains that she showed up at a time when I needed her the most, she was a great distraction and she helped me think about something other than Donna.

Anyway, I was excited about seeing her, and since I tend to over-romanticize everything, I dressed nice, cleaned my apartment and made reservations at this superfancy South American steakhouse. We had ceviches, some empanaditas and split this 10 ounce steak. This was seriously one of the top two or three steaks I've ever eaten in my life. And when she bit into her $32 fucking signature steak, she looked at me and confirmed her place as "the biggest idiot I've ever dated" by saying, "Wow, this is good. This is probably better than Steak & Ale." I don't know. She's young, she's...er...unrefined? She is who she is.

Anyway, she kept glancing at her watch, then casually mentioned that she needed to get home to finish packing. I paid the check, walked her to her car, gave her a little smooch and she drove away forever. Did I expect the night to last a little longer? Yeah. I thought for sure we'd have some drinks and then...well, you know. I thought the night would end the way all the other ones did. But this was the appropriate ending and it exemplified the relationship perfectly in that it was: frustrating, confusing and unsatisfying. So long, Alyson.

Gabby
I didn't intend on having an update on Gabby. We met a little over two weeks ago, I asked for her number, she gave it to me, I called her, she never called me back. The end. Granted, I was disappointed (this was the champagne-sipping girly girl), but this ain't my first rodeo. I've been blown off plenty of times before. So I shrugged my shoulders and moved on. Well last week (actually, as I was sitting with Alyson), she sent me a text message. "Can we meet for a drink soon?" Er...okay. So after some consultation with a friend of mine on how to appropriately respond, I went with "Hello! Good to hear from you. How about early next week?" She replied with "Yes please call me next week promise." Uh huh. I came to the conclusion that this sudden urgency had to have been the result of a little happy hour drunkenness. But I can't complain. If she's thinking about me at a time like that...

So I'm supposed to call her. And we're supposed to meet for drinks soon. We'll see if she actually answers this time.

Penny
I've actually seen Penny the most out of everyone. I documented our first meetings in the last two postings. This past weekend, she and I went out to dinner. To be honest, I was far from enthused about going on a proper date with her. I was still at a point where I was straddling the line between "mildly interested" and "indifferent." So I wasn't particularly excited about spending my Saturday night (and at least $100) on her. But I talked myself into it. After all, the point of dating is to go on dates, so...I don't know. Might as well, right? After a particularly lazy, yet productive, yet kinda fun Saturday day (I woke up early, went to the gym, did laundry, spent some time in the swimming pool then had beers on the balcony with my friend Ceci), I got cleaned up and headed over to pick her up. I brought flowers. I wore cologne. It was a date. Anyway, we went to a Mexican restaurant and had drinks. We ate. She revealed her love of mushrooms. The hallucinogenic kind. We drank some more. And drank some more. And some more.

Here's the thing. After about eleven beers, I was kinda into her. I mean, on paper, she's perfect! She likes college football, likes to go out, can have an intelligent conversation, has really great legs, etc, etc. But...I don't know. It just wasn't there. At one point, we started kissing. Okay, we were kinda making out. And I was just going through the motions. There really wasn't anything behind it. To me, it felt like practice. You know, time to work on my form and execution. I think I scored pretty well. An 8.2, perhaps. Anyway, I don't know what to do. I'm not interested in taking this any further, but I don't really have a reason to just cut things off. We'll see what happens.

Fanny
I like Fanny. She and I have never met in person, but I still kinda like her. We email back and forth, send occasional text messages...it's nice. She can't meet me right now because of some family stuff that's going on, but soon. I think. I hope. Sorry for the cryptic update here, but things are in a very uncertain place right now. A more concrete update coming soon. I hope.

So that's that! Date Week 2008 came in like a thunderbolt and left with a whimper. Hopefully I'll actually go out with Gabby this week and will have something to report. Until then...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My parents and I ate at a Steak and Ale once. I don't remember the food, but I kinda wanted to live there, because I really liked the exterior for some reason.

-bef