Olajuwon, who endorsed a sneaker made by Spalding which retailed for $35, is one of the very few known players in any professional sport to endorse a sneaker not from Nike, Reebok, Adidas, or other high retail brands. As Olajuwon declared: "How can a poor working mother with three boys buy Nikes or Reeboks that cost $120?"
What a guy! Inexplicably, their website makes absolutely no mention of Hakeem at all, despite the fact that the lobby is littered with miscellaneous posters, basketballs and other memorabilia. Go figure. Anyway, one poster in particular jumped out at me, because it was autographed(!) and featured three future Hall of Famers. However.

How in the hell did Matt Maloney get on that poster?! Here's a guy who averaged a staggering 6.5 points per game in his three seasons with the Rockets and he's being placed alongside Barkley, Olajuwon and Drexler? Incomprehensible. I've got to believe even Matt Maloney was a bit sheepish autographing that poster. Good lord. Moving on.
I realized this morning that I'm officially completely out of touch with popular music. This is something I've suspected for some time now, but it really hit home while I was watching VH1 (which, in itself, should show how out of touch I am) while I was getting ready for work. They flashed a quick graphic of the top selling albums of the week, and the number one album was something called "26 Days" by a group called "26 Days." Muh? Is it strange that I've never heard of "26 Days?" What is "26 Days?" I'll google it in a second, but I have to believe it's...umm...a band? Although, bands don't really top the charts anymore, do they? Is it an R&B group? A rapper? (I'm making this worse, aren't I). Okay, google time....
Oh sweet Christ. First off, I made myself look like an absolute grandpa by calling them "26 Days" when they're actually called "Day26." Next I'll be calling Nintendo "intendo" and calling my children every time I need to use the "world wide web." Like an idiot dope. As far as the music of Day26 goes (sigh), I'll let Wikipedia take this one: Day26 is an American, all male, R&B/Pop quintet signed to Bad Boy Records. The group was formed on the fourth installment of MTV's Making The Band.
I should've known. I seriously should've known. The American record-buying audience has completely stopped surprising me. In fact, I can honestly say I've only heard one, maybe two, of the top ten songs on Billboard's Hot 100 this week, and ironically enough, it's thanks to VH1. Check out this list:
1. Mariah Carey - Touch My Body
2. Usher Featuring Young Jeezy - Love In This Club
3. Madonna Featuring Justin Timberlake - 4 Minutes
4. Leona Lewis - Bleeding Love
5. Jordin Sparks Duet With Chris Brown - No Air
6. Ray J & Yung Berg - Sexy Can I
7. Lil Wayne Featuring Static Major - Lollipop
8. Chris Brown - With You
9. Sara Bareilles - Love Song
10. Flo Rida Featuring T-Pain - Low
Have any of you heard these songs? Maybe I go to too many bars and not enough clubs? Maybe I don't listen to the radio enough? I don't know. Is it bad that I actually long for the days of Spears/Aguilera and N*Sync/Backstreet Boys in pop music? Okay, I'm gonna sign off before I say anything else stupid.
Remember to get those questions in for next week's mailbag! Still empty! Come on! Bring it on! MemoirsMailbag@gmail.com

7 comments:
In his NBA career, Maloney played in 295 games and scored a total of 2,177 points. He scored a career high 26 points twice during the 1997 playoffs as a member of the Rockets. Maloney returned to Houston after retiring.
Eric bought T-pain's album. I think there's TWO he bought.
I've heard two of the songs on that list. One of them is a hip-hop song, the other is angsty girl rock. They both suck.
I'm glad you brought up the Maloney issue. So I'm in Champions (Austin sports bar, obviously) the other day to have a few beers with my buddies from work before we stumble over to the convention center to support our Austin Toros on their impending playoff run. Inside Champions they have all these Longhorn "greats" who have provided quotes about the bar. These quotes are painted high on the walls for everyone to see, and they say things like "great food," "cold beers," "awesome waitresses," shit like that. So they have quotes from Darrell K. Royal (legend), Ricky Williams (legend), Roger Clemens (legend), Rick Barnes (legend), and Chance Mock...the fuck???? CHANCE MOCK???? Were TJ Ford, or Roy Williams, or Derrick Johnson, or MACK BROWN busy that day??? Couldn't put in a quick call to Major...ask him for a short quote? Was too much to put out an invite to Vince Young while he was here? "Hey, come have a burger and a beer on us Vince!! Give us a quote."
CHANCE MOCK?!?!?!?
Cory
That Chance Mock quote will come down soon enough.
The Hard Rock Cafe in Houston used to have an autographed Gorky Park guitar on display. Chance Mock is the Gorky Park of ex-Longhorn football players.
Young Jeezy? Goddammit, I will stab him in the eyeball just for having that moronic name.
The only people I have heard of on that list were Madonna (skank), Justin Timberlake (ego bigger than a 2 football fields), and Usher (who's head looks like a butternut squash.)
I think it's a good thing you don't listen to the radio.
-beth
University of Pennsylvania alum Matt Maloney! Second most 3-point FGs in school history, and in only three years! Maybe he's not a god in Houston, but in West Philadelphia, his name lives on strong.
Hm. One of them is a British singer, one of them is on an Apple commercial, the rest are...
...er...
...maybe it's because we don't listen to shitty radio stations?
Post a Comment