Wednesday, April 16, 2008

An update, an update and a not-date

Some random Wednesday Knuggets...

Okay, so the official ACL Fest lineup was released yesterday.


I have to admit, I was a little disappointed. Well, not so much disappointed as...underwhelmed. And I'm not quite sure if I'm underwhelmed because I'm still thinking about the fake lineup (which, in retrospect, would have been the greatest festival lineup in the history of festivals), or if I'm underwhelmed because...it's an underwhelming lineup (side note: looking over the fake poster again, we're such suckers for believing it in the first place. Again, my new purpose in life is to find the bastard that created it and frame him for running a child prostitution ring). Anyway, there are some bands I'm excited about seeing (Conor Oberst, Neko Case, Band of Horses, the Swell Season, Stars, Jenny Lewis and Manu Chao), and a handful of acts I'll definitely saunter over to see if I'm close to that stage anyway (N.E.R.D, Silversun Pickups, Okkervil River, Ingrid Michaelson, What Made Milwaukee Famous, etc, etc). I don't know. Like I've said before, it's three days of fun in the sun, so how can you go wrong? Speaking of fun in the sun...

OK, this is in reference to yesterday's [April 8] posting. In some of the shots, you're holding two beers (or there's two beers in the console). Did you consume both? I need to know if the grand total is roughly 18 or roughly 16. Thank you.
Leigh B.
New York, NY


Well. Hmm...Okay, to answer your question...yes and no. The picture where I'm holding two? Yes, I drank both of those. But I only bought two because the crowd at the bar was starting to look something like this:

As far as the picture in the car goes, heavens no. I was driving! Ahem. And one of those belonged to Josh. Anyway, you're a little short on your grand total estimate, I'm afraid. When I plugged in my iPhone later that week, I discovered MORE beer pictures. Apparently I'd decided to leave my camera in the car, but still wanted to chronicle my steady decline into liver failure.


I'd say conservative estimates would put me roughly around 22. A total I hadn't even sniffed since July 4th. And hopefully won't sniff again...until July 4th.

So I was supposed to have my "meet for drinks, not-quite-a-date" last night. I'd actually been thinking about it more than I should have. For one, I had an internal debate all day Sunday about whether or not to get a haircut. My hair was getting a little too long, and I was starting to look shaggy. And not the good kind of shaggy either - the kind of shaggy you get when short hair gets too long to tussle (the "bed head" look, you know? Can we rename that please?), but still too short to have that adorable "Jim Halpert look." However, I didn't want to get my haircut two days before our not-date, because then I would be sporting that "just got a haircut" look. These are the kinds of things I wrestle with.

But why was I so excited for this not-date in the first place? Well, a couple reasons. For one, the thing with Alyson is just...I don't know...frustrating. And it's making me anxious. And I don't really want to date someone who doesn't like me. Is that so much to ask? I mean, I just spent six months in a love/hate relationship (I loved her, she hated me), and I'm starting to get fed up with the whole thing. So this was my chance at a fresh start, I guess.

Anyway, we were supposed to meet up pretty early (around 5:00), so I began staring at my phone sometime around 3:00. And checking myself in the mirror every thirteen seconds. Because I'm a lunatic. At around 5:30, she calls me. And asks for a rain check. Ugh. Her reasons were legitimate. She's in nursing school and I guess she had to be there at 6:00 this morning and she had stuff to prepare beforehand. On top of that, she's leaving for Vegas today and needed to do laundry, pack, etc, etc, whatever.

I wasn't mad, because I could totally understand why she needed to be at home, but...still. Why'd you make plans with me for Tuesday when you knew how hectic it would be?! I guess I could take the hopelessly optimistic view (which I kinda am) that she really wanted to see me before she left and ended up making plans that were unrealistic. Or. I could see this as yet another flaky girl I don't need in my life. I like option one better, because she still sounded sweet and she did try to plan on meeting up early next week. I don't know. We'll see if she calls. If not, match dot com, here I come! And I should look good for my first online date. After all, I did get a haircut last night.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Speaking of Jim and "The Office", did you see it last Thursday? Holy crap, that was the most uncomfortable 30 minute comedy greatness ever. When Michael Scott yells "THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID" at Jan. I almost fell off my couch.

Oh yeah, you might want to ask your new nurse friend if she has worked under Dr. Maneuvers, aka,the Virgin Surgeon.

Stevo