Monday, April 14, 2008

PWNED!

Well, I'm an idiot. Last week I received a leaked poster announcing this year's ACL Fest lineup (the official lineup is released tomorrow). I was thrilled. Everyone was thrilled. After all, the lineup included:
Radiohead, Death Cab for Cutie, Sigur Ros, the Shins, Ryan Adams, Belle & Sebastian, Ben Folds, Bright Eyes, Kings of Leon, Explosions in the Sky, Al Green, Iron & Wine...(pant pant pant)...Rilo Kiley, Band of Horses, the National, Rogue Wave and Patrick Park, with special appearances at the Kiddie stage by Jeff Tweedy, Robert Plant, Thom Yorke, Jenny Lewis, Sam Beam, Thurston Moore and Stephen Malkmus (this should have been giant red flag number one).

Now. We all should've known something was up, considering half of these bands could've easily headlined this festival. Then, this morning, I read this on Austin360.com:

Exclusive!!! ACL Fest poster!!! (It’s a fake)...after checking with some of the names on the poster, including Bruce Robison and Slaid Cleaves, it turns out the whole thing is a hoax. Neither Robison, billed as playing with brother Charlie, or Cleaves are booked for ACL...But what a fake fest this jokester put together...Sometimes you want to believe something so much, you look over the obvious inaccuracies. Like why would Raconteurs be so high on the bill and Feist, Al Green and John Fogerty be so low?

It's true. We wanted to believe it. And believe it we did. I immediately bought a three-day pass and started planning my weekend. In September. Sigh. I don't care, I'm still going. It's still gonna be three days of fun in the sun. I'm just a little annoyed that I fell for it, and I plan to spend the next five months hunting this hoaxster down. At which point I will tar and feather him, shave off his eyebrows, then shoot him into space. Moving on...

It's been an interesting couple of weeks in terms of my social/dating life. As you may recall, I've been kinda-sorta seeing a girl that used to work with me. I started dating her to distract myself from a certain someone, and we had a nice time. She kinda liked me, but not really. And I kinda liked her, but not really. Basically it was an excuse to have drinks with someone and forget about the acid knot in my stomach. Well, we still hang out. And I still have absolutely no idea what's going on with her. She and I went to an Astros game on Saturday, and for one, she spent the entire time talking about how hot Brandon Backe (our pitcher) was. Great. And when I'd casually scratch her on the leg or something, she wouldn't respond at all. It was just...I don't know. Uncomfortable?

I get it, we're F-buddies (there, I said it). But still. Does it have to be so black and white? When we're in bed, she's pawing all over me and, you know...having sex with me! But when we're hanging out, it's like we're cousins or something. Weird. Anyway, I've got a feeling it's about to fizzle out. And I really don't care. Because...

I went out with some co-workers last week and ended up meeting someone new at the bar. She was nice, she was pretty and (finally!) she had brown eyes. Don't worry, I'm not getting ahead of myself here. It was just nice to meet someone/talk to someone like normal human beings instead of this strange "marriage of convenience, see you when I see you" thing I'm doing now. Because for me, the talking/interacting/going out is far more important than the gymnastics in the bedroom (though those are fine too). Anyway, the new girl and I are meeting for drinks on Tuesday. I'm looking forward to it, because, from our brief discussions, she definitely seems like she "gets it." And that's all I'm really looking for.

There is one potential problem. Sigh. She's 22. I know! I don't know! Seriously. I don't know. How is it I could potentially begin dating a 22 year old for the third time in a row?! I couldn't meet a 22 year old if I tried, and yet?! I don't know. I'm not complaining. Sometimes these things happen. It's not like I'm subconsciously fulfilling a weird fetish like that time I dated three paraplegics in a row. But still. Update coming on Wednesday (maybe).

I've also been kicking around the idea of trying online dating again. Like I've said before, the whole process kind of weirds me out, and you get far too much information on the front end. But why the hell not? I'm in the mood to start dating, and just casually scanning match dot com for twenty-something gals in my zip code made me realize I'm sitting on a damn goldmine. So. We'll see how Tuesday plays out. Otherwise, I may jump off the deep end.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I forgot about Grimmace! Online dating is AWESOME.

El Capitao

Anonymous said...

You know, the last time you posted that picture on a blog (and how could any of us forget that face...), I think you were in a relationship in under a week.

Maybe that gremlin is your good luck charm!

-daver

Andy said...

Berto,

Do you remember who started the game for the Round Rock Express that you, Donna and I went to last August? DO YOU REMEMBER??!?

Andy