Well, I don't usually post on Mondays, because my brain is typically still sloshing around in my head, but I thought I'd make an exception today. I haven't posted anything since Wednesday - but only because I just haven't had anything to write about. Sure, Paris Hilton went back to jail, and it was hilarious, but what's there to say? Of course she deserved it.
This past weekend was really low-key actually. Thanks to my empty bank account, I was forced to stay in both nights. That, and I'm trying to lose a little weight before the summer is up. But anyway. I did a lot of reading (finally finished The World According to Garp - I loved it), worked out Friday, Saturday AND Sunday (this is unprecedented) and spent some quality time by the pool. The only pair of sunglasses I own are these Blue Blockers that were given to me at a bar. Turns out they work. Really well. The area around my eyes is still pretty white. My forehead, however, is the color of a stop sign. Terrific. I've been smearing aloe gel on it since then, but it still looks ridiculous. Oh well.
The Sopranos series finale was last night. I hadn't watched that show in years, but felt like I needed to catch the very last episode. If you haven't seen it yet, just stop reading. I'm pretty sure it's all I'm going to be talking about from here until the end of this posting.
When it first ended, I was confused. My initial reaction was, "okay, nothing happened. Great." Then I started getting kind of annoyed. I thought it was an egotistical way to end things - not having an ending - because now the show's creators had ensured that the show would live forever (on chat boards, in conversation, etc, etc). I thought it was kind of selfish not to have any closure. This was my knee-jerk first reaction.
But what if there had been a big shootout? That would've been lame and a tad obvious. I came to work today still unsure about what I thought. Then I was forwarded this theory from a friend of mine...
Tony died. He was shot in front of his family the moment Meadow walks into the restaurant. The final scene is viewed from Tony's perspective (as is most of the show) and the reason it cuts to black when it did was because he was shot and killed at that moment.
The key to understanding the last scene comes from a phrase by Bobby that was repeated a couple times: "I bet you don't hear it when it happens." The bullet travels faster than sound... and it enters Tony's head before he ever hears it.
Everyone who complains that the ending was meaningless just hasn't given the show the benefit of the doubt. If you stuck with the show this long you must understand the symbolism of the complete silence during the credits. It's the first time a show has ended without music.
So, if you think the ending was meaningless or a lame attention grabber, think again. Because there is meaning here... and it's spectacular.
Ah! A light went on. This makes perfect sense. (I'm a little dense. Sometimes you have to explain things to me) Apparently David Chase has known how the series would end for a long time now. Tony dying makes the most sense. And for them to do it like this makes it much more interesting. I enjoyed the last episode (even if I had to watch it with a blabbermouth), and I thought they did a great job with it. Subtle, understated, intense. And I'll tell you this, my heart was literally pounding from the second "Don't Stop Believin'" came until the credits started to roll. That was awesome.
Alright, I need to get out of the office for a little while. Not real happy to be here today. Monday. Blah.
Send those questions in for Wednesday's mailbag! MemoirsMailbag@gmail.com!
-

2 comments:
i bet your forehead is red! falling asleep in the sun with eric and i will do that to you! BOO-YA!! we need to get you out some more so that your skin recognizes what sun is again!
annnnd, i was gonna tell you that tony got shot at the end, but i read the whole thing and saw someone else already told ya 'bout that!
megan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
DUDE. That's a brilliant way to look at the finale... I feel better now :)
Post a Comment