Did anyone watch "the Age of Love" last night? I know, I know. It isn't exactly targeted towards 27 year old males. I know this. But they've been promoting it so heavily and the tag line is kind of clever (kittens vs. cougars!). I couldn't help myself. I watched the first episode. Well. Half of the first episode. So they have The Guy (who in this case, is ex-tennis star Mark Philippoussis) and they kick things off by showing a video of what a hunk/big sweetie/overall great catch he is. This even included a scene with a (are you
serious?!) puppy. Of course, the women melted and ooohed and aahhhed and made
outrageous comments about wanting see him naked. Blah. We're told that, although our dear bachelor is only 30, the women are anywhere from 39 to 48. Oh man! This will never work! They're so old! Right. They're also drop dead gorgeous. Like these women need help. Anyway. They put Mark out by the swimming pool and let the women introduce themselves one by one. Etc, etc, etc. They're all old, he smiles politely, cut to interview with him saying "I was starting to think something was up here." Nice work, Encyclopedia Brown. At this point, I have to assume he's stupider than he looks. What kind of idiot goes on a dating show not called "The Bachelor" and is actually surprised when they throw him a curveball?! You think NBC is gonna produce a straight Bachelor knockoff?

Naturally, the women are giddy with excitement after they've met poor, shell-shocked Mark, and seem to think the "game has started," before (surprise!) they're blindsided by the gaggle of 20-somethings. Honestly, ladies. When was the last time you saw a dating show with
seven contestants?! You didn't think they might introduce a couple more? Hadn't any of these women seen "Average Joe" before?!
Anyway, I only watched half, because it got really terrible (read: formulaic) really fast. No matter what wrinkle they try to add, the show also plays out the exact same way. Same characters, same activities, same interviews, same everything. This led to a conversation this morning with Dave about whether or not reality TV was in its death throes. As Dave pointed out, "every little twist and wrinkle these shows offer have been used and used and abused over and over again, and everyone has a bit of 'been there done that'." I'm hoping it's over. I mean, have you seen
this? Come on.
Remember, tomorrow is Wednesday, which means Mailblog! Get those questions into MemoirsMailbag@gmail.com!
Until then...
10 comments:
Perhaps the plethora of reality TV will wane, but...have no fear, there are enough people (like me) who like their TV stupid and mindless with a dash of REAL people being stupider than anyone they know.
Hello? Have you SEEN Flavor of Love Charm School? You can't FIND better shit to laugh at on TV. (Oh, with the exception of AFV--THAT is award-winning reality TV if I do say so myself)
Cougars versus Tartlets? Stupid
Pirate show? Stupid
Flavor of Love? Pretty dumb
I Love NY? Pretty Painful
Charm SCHOOL? AWESOME
Fantasy Island? AWESOME
Love Cruise? AWESOME (annnd, it had bug-eyed Tony--who doesn't love to watch THAT crazy bitch wig out?)
And, last but not least by any means...REAL WORLD/ROAD RULES DUEL?!?! Best damn watch-washed-up-reality-stars-hit-rock-bottom show on television!!
(for the record, I counter this brain junk food with Meet the Press, devoutly listening to NPR, and reading LOTS of news.) :) ha!
America's Funniest Videos will continue to be the greatest show on television as long as stupid people continue to multiply - which they will.
Charm School was terrible. Seriously. Terrible. And the Real World/Road Rules Duel? No way. Those people are self-obssessed ("narcissistic" doesn't do them justice) brats.
This blog makes me want to punch myself in the face over and over...
-reeegan
When Joe Millionaire came out, I wrote somewhere that Mark Burnett et al should just retire and find new professions because it wasn't going to get any better than that. Well, it has gotten better (in some cases). Like Sofa King Awesome (huh?) said, people love watching this shit. And the Mark Burnetts of the world will continue to find new twists to keep it fresh.
In A Short History of Nearly Everything, Bill Bryson writes about some scientist from the early 20th Century who proclaimed that everything that could have been invented had been invented. Yeeeeaaaah, that didn't work out so well for him. Anyway, same principle applies here.
- Andy
Hey, you never know, man--it could be a great way to meet women. Just look at the fantastic success rate of previous Bachelor/Bachelorette/Joe Millionaire/I-Think-My-Head's-Going-to-Explode-
Because-There-Are-So-Many-Others relationships!!
No one denied that Fantasy Island and Love Cruise were awesome (BECAUSE THEY WERE!)
I'd be okay if they just dedicated a channel to reality TV.
And, I'm pretty sure I watched a LOT of NEXT at your apartment in NYC, Robert.
Get with the program, Que.
www.foxreality.com
And yes, NEXT is the perfect braindead, hungover-on-a-Sunday-afternoon show. I admit that.
yeah, but that shit only has blind date and gay or straight, or whatever. I want me some LOVE CRUISE reruns.
this blog makes me want to punch American society in the face over and over....
-beth
everyone's too good for reality tv...whatever.
Post a Comment