Look at that picture. That's who they matched me with. A 45 year old woman from Jackson, Michigan. Jesus. Christ. Granted, that was just a "luck of the draw" type of thing, but come on! Alright then, who are my actual matches? People who share the same values, beliefs, interests and attitudes as me? People who like music and going to bars and laying by the pool and spontaneous trips to the beach? Well, they kicked things off by matching me with a young lass named "Abigail Oatmeal." A selection from Abby's profile...
I am a social worker and feminist activist who has been in Austin about 6 years. I like coffee, hiking, my two obese cats, modern Japanese fiction, dinosaurs, poets both dead and alive, Tori Amos, hibiscus mint tea but only if it's from Ruta Maya, Birkenstocks and old family photos. Politically speaking, I am as radically left as you can get... if you aren't part of the solution, you are part of the problem. I also believe that if you aren't outraged, you aren't paying attention. I was raised by an Atheist and feminist Christian.
Uh huh. Look, let's forget for a second that the act of smiling appears to be physically painful for her. What on earth did I put in my profile that makes them think I'd be interested in a social worker/feminist activist?! Who likes dinosaurs!! How did this happen?! Anyway, the problem here is obvious. I need to just use one of the pay dating sites where people feel more obligated to use it because they're shelling out $60 a month. Instead of this free one, where people sort of come and go as they please, and don't feel any real obligation. But what happens when I start paying $60 a month, and end up with another Abigail Oatmeal?! I don't think online dating is for me. Maybe I'm being too picky? Maybe I think I'm an acquired taste and I really don't believe anyone could look at my picture, read my profile and decide I'm the man for them. Maybe Grimace up there in Michigan is my soulmate and I'm just being a jerk? Whatever it is, we've hit a wall here.
But alas. I am still sort of itching to start dating again. I do love the ladies. If only there was some kind of cure for that.
Tomorrow is the mailblog! Be sure to send your questions to MemoirsMailbag@gmail.com! And yes, I really did mail a $5 Starbucks giftcard to Megan, who submitted last week's Question of the Week!

10 comments:
One of your most hilarious entries yet, and I couldn't wait to be done reading it thanks to the visual accompaniment. WOW.
i guess i never told you about the time when i was in kindergarten and wanted to be a dinosaur when i grew up?
i've failed.
-beth
I don't know what you're talking about, Beth. I STILL want to be a dinosaur.
Will
Oh my God. This post just made me keel over giggling! Are you on Match, or what? (I may have totally missed that part during my laughter) A couple of my friends are on there, and the people seem good.
Also, what did you put as your age range that made them give you ol' Abby O? Are you purposely looking for a cougar, you sly sonofabitch?
She's 30!!
hell yeah i got the gift card!! and i already told you what's gonna happen here: double match.com profiles. it'll be our greatest times yet.....
meg
Whatever happened to the trial month offer from Match? You give your credit card information and cancel before the month is up.
And if Little Miss Quaker Oats isn't a bad enough match for you (or any male), they even managed to find you someone with a breakfast food username - a multiple offense pairing.
I don't know what all the fuss is about. You can tell they're pretty on the inside.
If nothing else, at least you can say she's all woman. Like two of them.
Corky
DUDE! Abigail is at Eeyore's Birthday party too. As in the lamest hippie event in Austin (read: used to be cool when it started in 1960-whatever, now it's just a really lame party in the park)
This girl likely doesn't shave, DEFINITELY uses Tom's all Natural Toothpaste, and I am certain, one of those fucking crystals in lieu of deoderant.
Like I asked Eric yesterday, WHY, if you are liberal, and live in Austin can you NOT put on some Arid XXDry? I've never been in a group of more stinky people than at the John Edwards event.
Gross. Body Odor is SO gross.
I bet Crunchy Abigail Oatmeal and I would get along well.
Abigail appears to be on her way to take a massive dump - one only oatmeal can cause. Pausing for the photographer caused her to need to walk really fast to make it in time. God help the other women who were also in there when she came stumbling in.
Post a Comment