Friday, July 13, 2007

Christ. Seven years of college down the drain. Might as well join the fucking Peace Corps.

Hooray for Friday! This week has felt long for some reason. I've also been having some really strange sleep patterns. Maybe it was from all my virus-sleeping last week. I've been climbing in bed by 10:15, falling asleep at around 11:00 and waking up completely refreshed and ready to tackle the day...at 4:30 in the morning. Now, this would be fine if I had chickens to feed or cows to milk. But what does a city dweller do at 4:30 in the morning? Anyway, I've been laying awake until 5:30 or so and eventually falling back to sleep. It's very strange. Of course, I could just go to bed later, but I have a hard time doing that. For some reason, 10:00 is my "okay, time to wind down and get ready for bed" time. I know. I'm 87 years old.

No real plans for the weekend. I think I'm going to hit the town tonight, since I was unable to leave my living room last weekend. It's supposed to rain (of course) but I'd like to get a little pool time in as well. I must say, Austin is a terrific place to be during the summer. Not only are there an abundance of swimming pools, swimming holes, rivers, etc, but the college kids are, for the most part, gone until late August. I don't have any problem with college kids. I just don't really care for them crowding up the bars I want to go to. With their self-satisfied cockiness and their puka shell necklaces. They don't wear puka shells anymore, do they. Well, with their popped collar double polos and fraternity shirts. Anyway. I just think back to when I was that age (which, depressingly, was like five or six years ago) and remember that I didn't know shit. I mean, really. When you're 21 you think you know things. You write a rent check every month and do your own laundry and you drive and you don't have to talk to your parents. But, beyond alcohol poisoning and some sexual escapades, what have you really experienced? All I'm saying is, how can a college kid truly appreciate the weekend when their only obligations over the course of an entire five day week is twelve hours of class that they'll probably just skip anyway?

Anyway, it's just sour grapes. I miss the wrecklessness of college. The lack of responsibility. The carefree attitude. I once prepared for an 8:00 am final by drinking until 6:00 in the morning. The great part? There were four other people drinking with me! And they had finals too! I don't know if they were the "best four years of my life," but I certainly aged a lot during those four years. Even if I didn't learn anything.

Okay, I'm babbling. I hope everyone has a good weekend. Jello shots are on me!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

HEY MAN, what's your beef with popped collars?!?!?!?!

< says the sorority girl >

Anonymous said...

or sitting on my roof drinking and watching the sun rise while joey t pushes a stolen walgreens shopping cart around my backyard. then deciding to call your mom because she's awake and getting ready to go to work.

while another person (who will remain nameless, but does live in Austin with us) got high and then left to go LIFEGUARD CHILDREN at the pool. high. after drinking and staying up all night.

jesus. how did we not die?

Anonymous said...

Eric,

I'll have you know that no child was harmed because of supervision deficiency on account of my mental intoxication.

Also, the club had good cheese fries that day.

C