I was actually quite productive when I first got here. I replied to a couple of e-mails, fixed a couple of things, entered a couple of things, etc, etc. Then work slowed down. Then work stopped. When I worked for the PR agency, work never stopped. Even if you were lucky enough to find yourself with fifteen minutes of downtime, you were supposed to use that time pestering journalists and asking them to write stories for you. Here, if the work stops, you simply don't have shit to do. Now, I like when this happens, obviously. I e-mail my friends, waste time reading sports websites, write on this blog (when the mood strikes me). It's nice. However, every minute that passes where you're not doing work makes you lazier and lazier. I haven't done a thing for over an hour. Now, if someone does need me to do something, it's not only going to annoy me, it might even piss me off. "How dare you ask me to do work?! Can't you see I'm reading on Page Six how Lindsay Lohan's mom is a huge bitch?!" So yeah. Sometimes it's better to be extremely busy from the second you get here til the second you leave. And the day goes by a lot faster that way. So here I sit. Bored. I've exhausted all of the websites I go to (which only numbers about seven or so) and I think I'm done playing with my phone. So....uhhh....there you have it. My point? Excuse me, this isn't Vanity Fair. I don't need a point. Now get back to work.
(side note: I do love my phone. For the first two days, I was terrified to even touch it. Since then I've lightened up. Probably not a good thing, considering Friday night, mid-text message, I dropped it on the floor of a bar (after doing a five second, two-handed "oh god no!" juggle when I lost my grip on it). And Sunday I managed to fling queso all over it while hastily (drunkenly) trying to get a chip into my mouth. It's only a matter of time before I drop it in a toilet.)Maiblog tomorrow! Get those questions in! MemoirsMailbag@gmail.com

2 comments:
What you did to your phone sunday was "eric it"--
Eric It-- def. (verb) to inadvertently, whislt drunk, sling NACHO CHEESE (or queso, merely a refined form of NACHO CHEESE) on to an expensive item (i.e. busch 'nocs at Texas Motor Speedway)
K
OH MY GOD, I could not agree more.
PR bitch = bipolar bosses, constant emergencies, always paranoid that you'd be screamed at for no particular reason at any given moment, journalists who couldn't give a shit about what you're selling, 10-hour days (at least).
Receptionist = Refreshing Gawker and Jezebel 10 times a day, marveling over the fact that your bosses actually encourage and insist upon hour-long (or hour and a half! Whatevs) lunches, eight hour days where you actually get home before dark.
Yeah, it's making me suuuuper lazy.
Post a Comment