Well, there's not too much to report on what turned out to be kind of a cruddy, overcast day. For the last few Fridays, I've been painfully hungover, and there's usually been some kind of story that explains the circumstances behind the hangover. Not the case today, I'm afraid. I did go out for beers last night, but there was no debauchery. Oh well.
Work has been annoying today, but only because the little mannerisms of my co-workers have begun to grate on my very last nerve. First, there's a guy whose leg bounces constantly. You wouldn't think his bouncing leg would have any impact on me, considering he works three cubicles away. However. His leg is huge. He is huge. His lunch the other day included two cheeseburgers, two baked potatoes and a donut(?!). And a 24 oz Jolt energy drink. Therefore, when his leg bounces, the floor bounces. My computer monitor literally rattles back and forth and my chair vibrates. Usually, this doesn't bother me. I think it's funny that no one has ever asked him to stop. However, on days that I'm hungover, the leg shaking makes me seasick. I'm trying to figure out how to politely ask him to stop, as my first impulse is "will you fucking sit still?!"
Secondly, there's a woman who sits behind me who has severe allergies. Now, I can't fault her for having allergies. I have allergies, and they're terrible. I can handle a nose blow here and there. I can handle the nasal sound of her voice. It's no big deal. But the other noises that come over the cubicle wall. It's almost unbearable. You know when you're reeeeally stuffed up, and you'll force air through your nostrils, if only to make a little room? Only, you're so blocked up that it just creates a snotty, gurgly noise? Just reading that sentence probably made your stomach turn. I hear this noise once every three minutes. At first I just grimaced at the horror, but now it's starting to make me nauxious. I have my headphones on eight hours a day because of this woman. I hope to god this will blow over after we get through April and May. If not, I'm attaching a Dyson to her face and feeding her a Claritin sandwich.
Anyway. I'm off to Dallas (again) after work. This weekend it's mom-time. I'm happy about this. Mom-time is always nice. We'll see a movie, eat at a Mexican restaurant and spend the afternoons lounging around. It's not unlike a laid back weekend in Austin, except in this case, I don't have to pay for anything.
The NFL Draft is on Saturday as well. As a college football nut, I always enjoy watching the draft. I like to see where certain players go, how superstars from big time programs can manage to fall to the fifth round, while no-names from no-name schools somehow rocket to the top twenty. This makes no sense. I mean, I appreciate the value of 40 times and bench presses and all that, but it doesn't tell you everything. We (the Houston Texans) took Mario Williams with the number one pick last year. In doing so, we passed on Reggie Bush, Vince Young and Matt Leinart, among others. Do the scouts not care that he was benched halfway through his senior season? This means nothing? Same goes for JaMarcus Russell this year. He was critcized last year for his poor decision making. I don't care how big and fast he is, if he's throwing to the wrong team, that's a problem. Who knows. The Texans will probably select a boring player, because they never pick anyone cool. It's always a defensive lineman or a punter or a back-up long snapper. Which is why we suck every year.
(Side note: I refuse to cheer for the Cowboys. No self-respecting Houstonian would ever cheer for them - looking at you, Richard. They're villians. They're disgusting. Their owner's face is made of fiberglass. Their fans have this obnoxious sense of entitlement. Their best player may be the worst human being on the face of the earth.)
So that's the plan for the weekend. Driving, draft, Mexican food, movie, more driving. Should be a relaxing good time. And I may have enough energy to write something on Monday.
And please remember to send your mailbag questions to memoirsmailbag@gmail.com. Good day.
-

1 comment:
Um, no respecting TEXAN should cheer for the Cowboys. We're too good for that, and I'm proud to say that a) I've never been to Texas Stadium (Irving? Ew) and b) I kinda hate pro football, but hold a soft spot in my cold black heart for the Houston Texans.
Post a Comment