Thursday, April 12, 2007

Call me Bobby Ricky...or don't. Actually, don't.

Well, I had every intention in the world of writing a nice long posting yesterday, but I had to hurry home on my lunch break to retrieve the package UPS so nicely left on my front doorstep. What, you ask, was in the package? Tickets, my friends. Tickets to a race. Tickets to the NASCAR race this weekend. Yeehaw!! Yep, I'm headed to the Samsung 500 at Texas Motor Speedway on Sunday. Now, I don't consider myself a NASCAR fan, per se, but the thought of going to a race intrigues me. You've all heard the cliches about NASCAR. "Oh, you'll see people with no teeth! The ground is stained with black Copenhagen spit! It's nothing but rednecks in sleeveless shirts and jean shorts!" Now honestly. Can this all be true? Really? Is it possible I'll actually see a woman with a giant "3" tattooed on her lower back? I'm giddy with anticipation!

We'll be staying in Ft. Worth, which apparently turns into a zoo on race weekends. This is exciting, but also a little intimidating. Do I need to wear a disguise? Should I look a little more rustic than I usually do (which is to say, not at all)? I shouldn't shave before then, right? I don't think I have time to grow a goatee. Maybe I'll swing by Sears on my way home and pick up some Unionbay shorts and one of those Big Dog shirts that lets people know "I'm dangerously overweight, but there's a St. Bernard on my shirt, so I'm embracing it." It'll be interesting to see what the dynamic is when we go out Saturday night. I'm assuming the shiny-shirt crowd will stay in Dallas this weekend. You'll get a full recap on Monday, assuming the ringing in my ears has subsided enough for me to concentrate.

Update: The contest to rename this blog is still going, so keep those suggestions coming! Please. Please keep them coming. I need more to choose from. As much as I would love to rename it "Poopy Pants McGhee," I just don't think I have it in me.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

it's "big DOG" but i like big daddy better. in fact, if you find the big daddy shirt, pick one up for me too. and i'll call ya bobby anytime i feel like it! BOO-YA!!

Anonymous said...

We gonna rock on down to FUNKY TOWN!!! this weekend...you know that the "FT" in FT Worth does not stand for FORT, it stands for FUNKY TOWN!!!!

Robert said...

Yes, I went in and changed "Big Daddy" to "Big Dog." I'm nitpicky, what can I say. Funky Town Worth isn't gonna know what hit it after we roll through town.

Anonymous said...

I have exhausted all options on express parking.

my vote is to park close to an exit gate and walk.

shake n bake. (that is my last reference to talladega nights this weekend)