Tuesday, April 03, 2007

When life gives you lemons...then holds you down and squeezes lemon juice in your eyes.

The weather was beautiful this past Sunday. Really, really beautiful. Not a cloud in the sky, sunshiny sunshine, warm air, cool breeze. It was perfect. So perfect that I decided to create a Sunshiny Mix on my itunes. It included such sunny songs as "the Bleeding Heart Show" by the New Pornographers and "Australia" by the Shins. I even went so far as to take the sixteen or so songs that make up They Might Be Giants' "Fingertips," and interject one snippet between each of the other songs. It was a sonic masterpiece. It made me happy. One drawback: it created a shift in the Universe.

I'm the kind of person who is prone to listening to sad, slow, acoustic, cry-myself-to-sleep music. A little "White Daisy Passing" here, a little Jose' Gonzalez there. A sprinkle of Sigur Ros to take me to new, self-pitying lows (you're not even required to retrofit your own problems into whatever lyrics you're hearing. You can just assume the sad, melodic aural dreamscape was written precisely to define the agony of losing your mail key). These listening habits keep my life reasonably happy for some strange reason, and there is balance in the Universe. Not anymore. Since creating my happy mix, Life has decided to start kicking me in the face. And of course Life is using the same tricks she always does. Money problems. Girl problems. More money problems. Job problems. Allergy problems. It's been one of those weeks that makes me want to drive my car into Lake Travis. And it's only Tuesday.

What's the answer? Do I destroy the happy mix in some kind of ceremony? I still sort of enjoy listening to it, despite what it's done to me. Do I create a Sad Bastard Mix to counteract the effects? Do I just go ahead and pay my cell phone bill? I don't know the answer. And you'll probably never know the answer, since there's no way in hell I'm devoting another post to this. Last week my brother had a terrible week. Now, considering we're twins, this probably makes more sense from a cosmic standpoint. If people really do take turns having bad weeks, logically, I would be next in line behind him. I'd be interested to see who's next. Is it alphabetical? I doubt the cosmos have any interest in the human alphabet, much less our social security or drivers license numbers. Will it be someoone I know? Keep an eye out. If you have a terrible, terrible week next week, let me know. That way I can prepare when I have one of those unbeatable, god-it's-good-to-be-alive weeks. You'll be glad you did.

3 comments:

Iron Butterfly said...

I enjoyed that! Easy to read, conversational...

Nice.

Beth said...

i hope i hear you crying in the next aisle tomorrow. it's a shame when one's universe gets knock out of kilter.

Anonymous said...

Let's say, in so-stupid-but-I'll-watch-anyway horror movie fashion, you make a copy of the cursed (read: curs-ed) CD and mail it out to someone, anyone, with the explicit instructions to copy and anonymously mail it before the same cosmic blight falls on him/her. Brilliant. I've been waiting for the trite chain letter to take on a more techologically advanced form.