Thursday, May 10, 2007

Let the good times roll, let the good. Times. Roll.

I'm feeling a little sleepy today thanks to the Kings of Leon show last night. Actually, it was the "staying out til 2 am" that really did me in. Anyway, they played at Stubb's BBQ, which, for those of you have never been to Austin (Dave, looking at you), is an outdoor venue. Usually a great concept. However, last night The Nothing from Neverending Story was decending upon central Texas, so Kings of Leon had to go on early. We got there at about 8:00, and they'd already booted the opening act (Snowden. Never heard em before. Still haven't) off stage so they could set up and play before the rain and hail and tornadoes swept away all their fans. They played a good, if not unremarkable, set. And I always appreciate when bands play their hits. You can't alienate your casual fans, like the Cure did when I saw them a few years back. Seriously, how can you play three encores and not play Friday I'm in Love or Love Song?! This makes no sense to me.

Anyway, I feel like Kings of Leon are my age group's Pearl Jam, who belongs more to Generation X. Like their fans, they've sort of moved past their angst and slackerdom, and have adopted a professional, seasoned demeanor. Kings of Leon still has youth on their side, and I'm certain they hit the bars after the show, maybe swung through a strip club or two and stayed up until 6 in the morning sumo wrestling with hookers. Realistically, they probably got on their tour bus, did crossword puzzles and went to bed. But not in my head!

On another music note, the lineup for this year's Austin City Limits Festival has been announced. Time to start working on the secret compartment in my cooler. For the beer. And the drugs. And the Wet Wipes.

This year we're going to see arguably the most influencial songwriter of all time (Bob Dylan), the most interesting and original artist of all time (Bjork), the most interesting and original American band in decades (White Stripes) and arguably the best live band of our generation (Arcade Fire). This will be a spectacular trio of days. And that's only scratching the surface. The bill also includes the Killers (who are ten times the live band they were in the summer of 2004), Wilco, Muse, Bloc Party, Arctic Monkeys, the Decemberists (gasping for breath, pawing at water bottle)...I just had an indiegasm in my skinny jeans.

Three day festivals can be tricky. You can only spend so much time in the oppressive Texas heat before you just want to lay down and die. The problem is this. You're so excited the first day, that you drink and smoke with reckless abandon from 10:00 am until the sun goes down. Then you're expected to get up the following morning and do it again. And then again. So pacing is extremely important. And scheduling. And water.

Of course, I haven't actually bought my ticket yet, and they sold out in something like thirteen seconds, so getting into the show may be an issue. But I'm not worried. Surely I can find one between now and September?

I'm introducing a new feature today. It may last. It probably won't. It's the blog's Person of the Day. I'll honor someone I admire and respect with a short sentence on why they're awesome. The inagural person is Will Moseley. Two things about Will that will make you forever love him. A.) He was once so high he ate a peanut butter and meat tenderizer sandwich. B.) He tore his ACL dancing at a wedding. Congratulations Will!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

HAHA!!! Moseley's. Not to be outdone, his cousin shredded his face on the concrete last night whilst twirling a little lady under a street lamp only to succinctly find out what that street tasted like.

It tasted like fucking ouch.

~ Cory

Anonymous said...

I give this post only 1 star.

Kings of Leon are definitely not our generations Pearl Jam. Shut up. (disclosure: I am not a Pearl Jam fan.)

Second, The Killers STILL aren't that great live and that's why everyone's moved on.

Robert said...

I give your comment 1/2 of a third of one star's turd.

But you're right. Everyone has moved on. Which is why the Killers' last album has sold almost 3 million copies.

Anonymous said...

Easy with the false numbers, fucktard. Sam's Town has only sold 1 mil in the US, which is a far cry from what Hot Fuss did... and don't give me that "well I'd be happy with 1 million records sold" bull shit because you didn't sell 4 times that on your previous record. With the amount of money pumped into this record, this means we're still working in the red, which, translated in business terms means FLOP. Oh, and Brandon Flowers is still pissed about you not giving him the reach around... it's only common courtesy...

Robert said...

How silly of me to not run the budget numbers?! You're right! The 1,000,000 copies of Sam's Town they sold in the US (and additional 1,750,000 worldwide) DOES make them failures!

Well, I'll definitely be sure to miss their set now. Thank you for setting me straight.

And yes. I would be happy with 1 million albums sold. Good thing I don't work in the music industry.

Anonymous said...

compared to the last record and if you take into account how much more was spent on the marketing, production and promotion of this record, yes, this record is a failure. Sorry. If you spend more than you sell, then uh oh, you lost money... gee, funny how simple economics works.

Anonymous said...

what I like about you, you really hold me tight...