Thursday, May 24, 2007

Welcome to Funktown. Rutsburg. Uhh...Boredom Blahmmonwealth

I came to a bit of a surprising realization today. I'm in a rut. This is surprising because I didn't think I was in a rut. I'm not sad at all. I still laugh out loud at that commercial that asks "Where does depression hurt? Everywhere. Who does depression hurt? Everyone. " Not because depression is funny. It's the sad sack faces on the actors and the forelorn look on that poor dog's face as he lays his head down on the bed, worried sick about his owner. So, no. I'm not sad. I'm just...bored. My motivation has been sucked out of me.

I haven't had any desire to write on the blog (which is probably apparent) and when I do, the entries are forced and poorly written (did I really write about American Idol yesterday?). I don't have any desire to play guitar, so, much to my neighbors' dismay, there haven't been any lava-hot licks spilling out of my living room. The thought of hitting the town and boozing it up solicits little more than an indifferent shrug.

So what is causing this boredom? I'm not necessarily unhappy at work. I've settled in here to a degree, and even though this job is shit and I can't see myself staying here for more than a few months, I'm content. The work is easy. No one asks too terribly much of me. The people I work with are relatively nice. It's fine. Money isn't any more of a concern now than it's ever been. I'm not tired of or fighting with my girlfriend because she doesn't exist. I don't feel particularly restless right now (a Knox trademark), so I don't have any urge to pack up all of my belongings and start a new life elsewhere. So what then.

I'm sure it'll pass. Sometimes you have weeks where you just get the itch to go out every night. This is probably the anti-that. I have the itch to sit on my couch. And I've been scratching that itch. A lot. This posting isn't a passive-aggressive call to action so that my friends will take me to a strip club or anything. Just wanted to put this stuff out into the universe. Since it's my blog and all.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

let's go to the strip club anyway.

Anonymous said...

Well, last time it was the Old Homestead! Mmmmmmmm....

-daver

Anonymous said...

i've heard the lake helps boredom


megan